I thought it would be fun to start joining in and doing some of the Top 5 Wednesday topics. If your not familiar with what it is, it’s a Goodreads group founded by Lainey (gingerreadslainey) and hosted by Samantha (Thoughts on Tomes). There are all sorts of topics. They are uploaded monthly and there is a different one for every Wednesday. The idea is to choose five books/characters or whatever the topic is about that fit the theme. I'm going to use books, tv shows, movies etc. for my answers because I think that is most exciting. Especially for this week because the topic is 'Witches'.
I feel like the term 'witch' can be down to interpretation. Because all sorts of different things could constitute a character being a witch. But after a lot of thought (like, this took me way longer than it should) I finally settled on my five.
5. Bonnie Bennett from The Vampire Diaries (portrayed by Kat Graham) - This is obviously based on the TV Show. The characters in the books are completely different from those in the tv show and I have only read the first book but I have watched the show since it started all the way through to the final this year. Bonnie is a character I didn't really enjoy to begin with but she grew on me throughout the show and slowly developed in to one of the best characters of the show. Her development is done so well, usually tv shows lack that extra depth and things seem to move too fast but I feel like her character development was really great. I think that she definitely deserves a spot on this list.
4. Zelena (portrayed by Rebecca Mader) from ABC's Once Upon a Time - Zelena is a character that I despised when she was first introduced but without a doubt has become one of my favourites when it comes to this show. Her arc really shows her progression as a character. What she first believes in changes so much and it was great to see how her morals change, honestly it has been wonderful to watch. From previously watching Rebecca Mader in Lost, I thought the team at Once Upon a Time must have lost their minds when they chose to cast her. But now I think they were absolute genius because she is perfect for the role. The role really shows Rebecca's talent as an actor and how many different sorts of characters she can play in such unique ways.
3. Manon Blackbeak from Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass - Manon's character arc is very interesting and also so different from any other kind of witch that I have ever read about. But I love her as a character and her development throughout Queen of Shadows and Empire of Storms especially is wonderful. She is a strong morally grey character that really tests those lines between what is bad and what is good. She is the definition of a strong willed, feminist character. When Sarah J. Maas first introduced her in Heir of Fire as a brand new character I absolutely hated her because she wasn't the characters we knew and loved. But it only took her about two chapters in Manon's point of view to completely change my mind and possibly make her my favourite female character of the series. (Artwork is by Charlie Bowater).
2. Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter (Portrayed by Evanna Lynch) - This is definitely based on the movies as I have only read the first two books. But she is so quirky and is a character that really doesn't care about others opinions of her. She is a very different kind of witch than the others I have included in this list, most of the others definitely have the morally grey, or outright evil thing going for them and that is what I often find intriguing and exciting to watch or read about. However even though Luna can be a strong willed character at times it is her more quiet and slightly obsurd personality and the fact that she often does her own thing that I find extremely refreshing. They also did a great job with the casting of Evanna Lynch, she is the perfect Luna and I couldn't see anyone else playing her. If I was going with the first two books that I have read and had to choose a different character I would probably say Hermione instead but Luna is definitely my favourite in terms of the movies.
1. Willow Rosenburg from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (portrayed by Alyson Hannigan) - If you don't know who Willow is I don't know where you've been for the last twenty years but she is one of the most iconic characters of all time in my opinion. Willow is a fantastic character with so many different sides to her and so much depth that you can't really get much better. The way magic is portrayed in the show is wonderful and she one hundred percent fits my personal take on what a witch is. If you haven't watched this amazing show, I would highly recommend that you do, it is truly the best. Talking about this is making me want to rewatch it for the millionth time.
I hope you enjoyed this for a change. I definitely enjoyed talking about some of my favourite witches, I going to try and do as many of the upcoming topics as I can. If you would like to take part, check out the group over on goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday
Thank you for reading!
#top5wednesday #HarryPotter #lunalovegood #bonniebennett #tvd #tvdforever #thevampirediaries #vampirediaries #onceuponatime #zelena #katgraham #tvshows #witches #witch #evanalynch #manonblackbeak #sarahjmaas #sarahjmaas #willow #willowrosenburg #btvs #ouat #buffy #buffythevampireslayer #top5witches #books #bookish #bookishthings #book #movies